Senior Recreation Center
Update: Friday, May 29: Urbandale Opening City Facilities
The City of Urbandale is implementing a plan for a soft reopening of its operations and services beginning next week. The City closed all facilities to the public on March 17 as it responded to the COVID-19 pandemic. During the past twelve weeks, the City has operated a virtual City Hall, continuing to provide city services online. We continue to hold City Council and committee meetings virtually, respond to emergency and 911 calls, process permits, pick up garbage, and provide other essential services.
Following guidelines set by the CDC, the Iowa Department of Public Health, and the Governor’s Office, the following changes are in effect:
Parks, playgrounds, and recreation facilities
- All Urbandale playgrounds will reopen on June 1, including the skate park. While visiting any public space, use your best judgment and act responsibly; bring your own sanitation supplies with you and adhere to social distancing guidelines. Playground equipment is not regularly sanitized.
- Restrooms will reopen on June 1 (drinking fountains will not be turned on).
- Indoor and outdoor shelter and facility rentals are canceled through at least June 14.
- All in-person Parks & Recreation programs are canceled through at least June 14.
- The Urbandale Indoor Swimming Pool and Senior Recreation Center will remain closed through at least July 6, 2020. A reopening date is still being determined.
- Curbside service is currently available to library patrons.
- The library will open to the public with restrictions on June 15.
- The library will open with limited capacity and limited hours.
- A number of online programs for all ages are available, including the annual summer reading program. All in-person events and programs are canceled until further notice.
- Curbside service will continue for patrons that may still not be comfortable coming into the building.
- Check the Library Website for the most up-to-date information.
- The Fourth of July parade and carnival are canceled.
- Party in the Park is canceled.
- National Night Out has been postponed to a yet-to-be-determined date.
All other city buildings will open on June 15 with limited public access. Members of the public who enter city buildings are encouraged to wear masks, and a mask will be provided if you do not have one. Residents, contractors, and the public are encouraged to do business with staff via phone, email, video conference, or the website.
Update: May 21, 2020 - Urbandale Extending Closures and Announcing New Cancellations
The City of Urbandale is extending closures and announcing new cancellations due to coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The Urbandale Indoor Swimming Pool and Senior Recreation Center will remain closed until at least July 6, 2020.
- All in-person Parks and Recreation Programs are canceled through at least June 14, 2020.
- Virtual programming opportunities can be found at https://www.urbandale.org/170/Parks-Recreation.
The following park amenities remain closed until at least June 14, 2020:
- All City-owned sports fields
- Walker Johnston Skate Park
- Indoor and Outdoor Shelter and facility rentals
Parks and trails continue to be open, but social distancing is required. Avoid groups of people and crowded areas. If a public space can’t be enjoyed safely, go home or discover a new park. While visiting any public space, use your best judgment and act responsibly; bring your own sanitation supplies with you and adhere to social distancing guidelines. If you do not feel well or have been sick, stay home.
The City of Urbandale will be complying with all directives from the Governor’s Office, the State Department of Health, and Federal health officials when it comes to the reopening of City services. City facilities will gradually reopen as conditions warrant, a reopen date is still being evaluated. For the most up-to-date information visit www.urbandale.org/COVID-19.
Stay Connected with Social Media
Our Facebook page is updated daily with opportunities and ideas to stay engaged at home. We are working to provide seniors everywhere with content and connections as they stay home, and stay safe.
The Senior Recreation Center provides a safe, welcoming, and energizing environment where our community’s adults 55 and over can enhance their quality of life by engaging in a healthy and active lifestyle. Urbandale is committed to its senior citizens and our Senior Recreation Center is a great example of how our community makes good on that commitment!
The programs and services offered by the Urbandale Senior Recreation Center that help keep life interesting, enriching, and fun are certainly no secret. With over 40,000 in attendance each year, these seniors certainly challenge the idea that growing old means slowing down!
The Urbandale Senior Recreation Center offers activities Monday through Friday. Included are fitness activities, art classes, games, senior singers, yoga and more.
The Urbandale Senior Recreation Center’s newsletter is a Bimonthly newsletter. Read the latest edition.
Classes & Programs
The Urbandale Senior Recreation Center offers something for everyone. Like to sing - we have the Senior Singers. Into Bridge - join a workshop or tournament. Interested in learning to master different technologies - try our instructional classes.
Senior Health Insurance Information Program
Volunteers offer Medicare enrollment assistance by appointment. 515-278-3907.
Treadmills, Nu-Steps, an elliptical, a recumbent elliptical, and recumbent bicycle are available for use on a first-come, first-served basis.
Two pool tables are available for use on a first come-first play basis. Cues are available for your use as well.
The computer lab is available for independent use during regular center hours, unless there is a class or seminar in session (please call ahead to check schedule).
The Urbandale Community Action Network provides free, limited transportation for Urbandale seniors in need. Visit www.UrbandaleNetwork.org or call the Urbandale Community Action Network at 515-278-3999 to receive an application.