Spring Clean-Up: May 2022
About Spring Clean Up Changes
The annual curbside clean-up allows residents to dispose of almost anything and it’s hard to know what crews will encounter curbside. The city normally rents large trucks, equipment, and employs temporary workers to help collect all the items — but due to supply chain issues, we can't get everything we need to run the collection as we have done in the past. See below for information on how to use the Spring Clean-Up event this year. This collection is available to all Urbandale residents who are eligible for City-provided solid waste collection.
When Do I Put My Items Out For Collection?
In Urbandale, not all residents get their garbage collected on the same day. The city is divided into collection zones, which means that some residents on the eastern side of Urbandale have a Monday collection day, while some residents on the western side of Urbandale have a Thursday collection day. Knowing the day your garbage is usually collected will help you know when to set out your items for Spring Clean Up.
Your Spring Clean Up week may be different than your neighbor's. Your items will be collected based on where you live in the city. Urbandale has been divided into four "collection zones". The zone you live in will correlate with the week your items will be collected. You will need to set your items out by 6:00 AM the Monday of your collection week. Due to smaller staff sizes, and less equipment, it may take us several days to collect your items. Find your collection week below:
- If your garbage is usually collected on Mondays, please have all items out by 6:00 AM on Monday, May 2nd. We will collect your items that week.
- If your garbage is usually collected on Tuesdays, please have all items at your curb by 6:00 AM on Monday, May 9th. We will collect your items that week.
- If your garbage is usually collected on Wednesday, please have all items at your curb by 6:00 AM on Monday, May 16th. We will collect your items that week.
- If your garbage is usually collected on Thursday, please have all items at your curb by 6:00 AM on Monday, May 23rd. We will collect your items that week.
- (Download a high resolution version of the map here.)
What can and can't I put out for collection?
- Help our crews by putting smaller items into tied trash bags and try not to overload bags.
- Don’t set your items out early. Place your items out by 6AM the Monday of your collection week, or the night before.
- Appliances (such as Refrigerators, Dehumidifiers, Microwaves, Water Heaters, Trash Compactors, Furnaces, Freezers, Air Conditioners, Dishwashers, Light Ballasts, Washers, Dryers, Stoves, and Garbage Disposal) will be collected through a separate City program called Bulk Item Collection. If you’d like to have an appliance collected now (or at any time during the year) please visit: https://www.urbandale.org/195/Bulk-Item-Collection.
- No construction debris or building materials.
- All garbage must be bagged or boxed and secured.
- One pick-up truck load limit per household, items must be able to be collected by a two-person crew.
- Be sure to fill your container first with anything that fits.
- Only leave items at the curb intended for City collection.
- Examples of accepted items include Chairs, File Cabinets, Computers, Tables, Couches, Grills (no tank), Recliners, Televisions, Desks, Mattresses, Shelves, Toilets, Dressers, Monitors, Sinks, and TV Stands, etc.
- For more information about Summer Clean-Up, or questions about accepted items call 515-278-3950 or email email@example.com.