Spring Cleanup: April 2024
About Spring Cleanup
On your regular collection day, during the week of April 15, 2024, the City will collect items that do not fit in your waste container. This collection is available to all Urbandale residents who are eligible for City-provided solid waste collection. The annual curbside cleanup allows residents to dispose of almost anything. The city rents large trucks, equipment, and employs temporary workers to help collect all the items. You can also view a copy of the Spring Cleanup flyer here.
When Do I Put My Items Out For Collection?
In Urbandale, not all residents get their garbage collected on the same day. Knowing the day your garbage is usually collected will help you know when to set out your items for Spring Cleanup.
- If your garbage is usually collected on Mondays, please have all items at your curb by 6 AM on Monday, April 15. We will collect your items that day.
- If your garbage is usually collected on Tuesdays, please have all items at your curb by 6 AM on Tuesday, April 16. We will collect your items that day.
- If your garbage is usually collected on Wednesdays, please have all items at your curb by 6 AM on Wednesday, April 17. We will collect your items that day.
- If your garbage is usually collected on Thursdays, please have all items at your curb by 6 AM on Thursday, April 18. We will collect your items that day.
What can and can't I put out for collection?
- Help our crews by putting smaller items into tied trash bags and try not to overload bags.
- Don’t set your items out early. Place your items out by 6AM on your regular collection day, or the night before.
- No appliances (such as Refrigerators, Dehumidifiers, Microwaves, Water Heaters, Trash Compactors, Furnaces, Freezers, Air Conditioners, Dishwashers, Light Ballasts, Washers, Dryers, Stoves, and Garbage Disposal). Appliances are collected through a separate City program called Bulk Item Collection. Urbandale residents can also drop-off large items for no-charge at the Urbandale Parks & Public Works Maintenance Facility on the second Saturday of every month. Learn more about Bulk Item Drop-Off here.
- No construction debris or building materials.
- All garbage must be bagged or boxed and secured.
- One pick-up truck load limit per household, items must be able to be collected by a two-person crew.
- Be sure to fill your container first with anything that fits.
- Only leave items at the curb intended for City collection.
- Examples of accepted items include Chairs, File Cabinets, Computers, Tables, Couches, Grills (no tank), Recliners, Televisions, Desks, Mattresses, Shelves, Toilets, Dressers, Monitors, Sinks, and TV Stands, etc.
- Consider donating your old bicycle rather than putting it out to the curb -- more information below.
- For more information about Spring Clean-Up, or questions about accepted items call 515-278-3950 or email email@example.com.
Collecting Used Bicycles
On Saturday, April 13, 2024 from 8 AM - Noon at the Urbandale Library Parking Lot.
Des Moines Bike Collective to collect Urbandale used bicycles prior to Annual Spring Clean-Up. The Des Moines Bike Collective is a non-profit that collects and refurbishes used bicycles. Urbandale residents can now give back to the community. Instead of throwing your used bike out on the curb for the annual clean-up bring it up to the Urbandale Library parking lot on Saturday, April 13, from 8:00 am-12:00 noon, and donate it to the Collective. Additional information about the Bike Collective can be found at www.dsmbikecollective.org. The Urbandale Lions will be helping with the collection.