86th Street Preservation Project - Phase II
This project provides for the repair and resurfacing of 86th Street from Hickman Road to Aurora Avenue. Work will include patching to restore the base pavement followed by a total asphalt overlay to provide a smooth driving surface. Repairs will also be made to sidewalk ramps to bring them into ADA compliance. There will be periods of noise and lane closures.
The City of Urbandale appreciates your cooperation and patience as we improve the condition and driving surface of this major route.
Project Status, 7/18/2019:
Patching Phase, Section B:
The contractor has completed full depth patches and median work on the inside lanes, and in the northbound outside lanes. The contractor is continuing work in the southbound outside lane, from Douglas Avenue to the creek crossing. This work includes both patches and repairs to sidewalk ramps as needed.
Tentative schedule for the remaining patching and overlay is as follows:
- Wednesday, July 17th thru Friday, July 19th: Starting at 9 PM, 86th Street will be completely closed from Hickman Road to New York Avenue to allow for partial depth patches and milling in preparation for the overlay.
- Sunday, July 21st: Starting at 8 PM, the outside lanes will be closed to pave the interlayer.
- Monday, July 22nd: Starting at 8 PM, the inside lanes will be closed to pave the interlayer. Flaggers will be provided for access to driveways as needed.
- Tuesday, July 23rd: Starting at 8 PM, the northbound 86th Street lanes will be closed to pave the surface layer.
- Wednesday, July 24th: Starting at 8 PM, the southbound 86th Street lanes will be closed to pave the surface layer.
- Thursday, July 25th: Lanes will be closed as needed to pave turn lanes and side streets.
Please do not drive, walk or allow animals to walk through the tack oil. Flaggers will be present to assist you as needed. Detours will be posted. All work is contingent on weather. If rain is forecast, work will be pushed back to the following day.
Thank you for your patience as we complete this project.
Patching and Overlay, Section A:
Work in Section A from Aurora Avenue to Douglas Parkway is substantially complete. The patching and overlay have been completed and pavement markings reestablished. The contractor will complete the restoration of grass as weather permits. All lanes are reopened between Aurora Avenue and Douglas Parkway.
Access and Work Zones:
Access will be provided for residences and businesses along the road during road closures. Every effort will be made to minimize the impact, but there will be some inconvenience. The goal is to work both safely and quickly. Please be patient and work with the contractors.
As always, please use caution when driving through a construction zone. Tack oil will be placed just before the asphalt paving. Local residents should avoid driving on the tack oil. If crossing the tack oil is unavoidable for access, please drive slowly.