Veterans Moving to Urbandale

On May 6, 2016, the City of Urbandale became a designated Home Base Iowa Community.  This designation recognizes the community's ongoing support of Veterans and their path to finding quality employment after ending active military service. 

A veteran moving to Urbandale could be eligible for assistance provided by the City.  

Eligibility requirements include:

-Residence in Urbandale within one year of active military duty, beginning on or after March 1, 2016.  
-Residency is confirmed by a signed lease agreement or closing statement.
-Military duty status is confirmed by a DD-214 form.

City Financial Assistance

When a veteran leases a home or apartment in Urbandale, the City of Urbandale will issue a check for $250 to the veteran to spend on the transition to the community and potentially support health and wellness expenses.

When a veteran purchases a home in Urbandale, the City of Urbandale will issue a check for $1,000 to the veteran to help offset the cost for City related services of owning a home--such as the cost of six months of water service, garbage bins, trash collection, in addition to supporting health and wellness expenses. If the veteran previously received $250 for leasing expenses, it would be deducted.

Other Assistance


-Complimentary resume review services for veterans and spouses by City of Urbandale Human Resources Department

-Discounted municipal pool passes and Parks and Recreation Department Programs for one year after veteran/veteran’s family establishes residence in Urbandale.


If you'd like to apply for assistance through the Urbandale Home Base Iowa program, please fill out this application (PDF) and a W-9 (if applicable) and call Curtis Brown at 515-331-6756.

Have Questions?

If you have questions about the Urbandale Home Base Iowa assistance for veterans, please contact Curtis Brown, Director of Economic Development at 515-331-6756 or