Update: Wednesday, February 24, 2021: Urbandale Public Swimming Pool Update
- The Urbandale Public Swimming Pool closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic on March 16, 2020.
- In November 2020, the City Council directed staff to keep the pool closed through at least February 2021.
- In each of the last 5 years, the Urbandale pool has lost on average $345,000 per year. See additional financial information on the pool here.
- It should be noted that the current pool is 45 years old, and the City is starting the process for a future facility to meet the recreational needs of the Urbandale Community.
- At its meeting on Tuesday, March 9, 2021, the City Council will consider the permanent closure of the pool. The meeting will be held virtually, and the agenda and a link to the meeting will be available at online on 3/5/21 after 5:00 p.m.
- Residents can share comments in advance of the meeting at email@example.com
Update: Tuesday, November 10: Status of the Indoor Public Swimming Pool in Urbandale
The pool has been closed since mid-March due to COVID-19 and was drained during the pandemic to reduce costs. In July, with growing concerns about COVID-19 and the safety of our patrons, the City Council directed staff to keep the pool closed through 2020.
At its meeting on Tuesday, November 10, 2020, with COVID-19 positivity rates increasing and continued concerns of the pandemic, the City Council extended the closure of the pool through the end of February 2021. The City will continue to monitor COVID-19 cases in our community and adjust operations as necessary.
While the Urbandale Pool is closed, the City has worked with other Des Moines area facilities to provide opportunities for alternative aquatic services for Urbandale residents. Residents can contact Goldfish Swim School for swim lessons or the Des Moines Area YMCA for swim lessons and water fitness program opportunities.
Update: Wednesday, September 2: Urbandale expands swim lessons and water exercise program partnerships with the YMCA of Greater Des Moines and Goldfish Swim School.
The Urbandale Swimming Pool will remain closed through 2020 and Urbandale Parks and Recreation understands how this closure impacts our residents. We are happy to announce that swim lessons and aquatic exercise programs will be available at both the YMCA of Greater Des Moines and the Goldfish Swim School Urbandale for Urbandale residents.
YMCA of Greater Des Moines
Urbandale residents can now get discounted swim lessons and Aqua Exercise Classes at the Waukee and Walnut Creek YMCA locations, starting in September.
The YMCA will offer swim lessons at both the Walnut Creek and Waukee locations for Urbandale residents at a discounted rate (non-YMCA members) of $85 per 6-class session.
In addition, Urbandale residents that are non-YMCA members can purchase a monthly Aqua Exercise Class Pass for only $50 per month. The monthly pass can be used at both the Walnut Creek and Waukee locations for up to four classes per week.
Registrations for both swim lessons and aquatic fitness classes will start on September 1, 2020, and programs begin on September 14, 2020. Residents do not need to be members of the YMCA to take advantage of these programs.
For questions and to learn more about the program opportunities at the YMCA of Greater Des Moines, call the Walnut Creek Family YMCA at 515-224-1888 and the Waukee Family YMCA at 515-987-9996 for any questions. Registration for programs must be completed in person in order to confirm residency.
Goldfish Swim School
Urbandale residents can also get discounted swim lessons and water aerobics classes at the Goldfish Swim School Urbandale.
The Goldfish Swim School Urbandale offers swim lessons for Urbandale residents at a discounted rate of $80 for its monthly membership or $95 for its Jump Start Clinic.
In addition, starting September 14th, Urbandale residents can purchase a monthly pass for ‘Urbandale Water Aerobics.’ Classes will be held on Mondays and Wednesdays, at 10:30 and 11:45 a.m.
Goldfish is offering the monthly pass at a discounted rate of $6 per class for Urbandale residents. (Total monthly pass fee will be calculated on the total number of classes offered per month.)
For questions and inquiries about water aerobics classes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about swim lessons contact the Goldfish Swim School Urbandale or call 515-612-9500.
Be sure to let either facility know you are an Urbandale resident when enrolling!
Update: Tuesday, August 4: Urbandale City Council Votes to Keep the Urbandale Indoor Pool Open – Operations Suspended At Least Through the End of 2020 Due to COVID-19
At its meeting on July 28, 2020, the City Council voted to keep the Urbandale Public Swimming open and to suspend a decision to permanently close the pool. However, the Council has directed staff that the pool will remain closed at least through 2020, due to concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic and safety of our patrons.
Staff continues to work with other Des Moines area facilities that provide aquatic services, to offer Urbandale residents alternative aquatic opportunities.
On July 14, 2020, the Council entered into a one-year agreement with Goldfish Swim School, to provide discounted swim lessons at their Urbandale facility. For questions and to learn more about Goldfish Swim School Urbandale click here, or call 515.612.9500.
Check back to this webpage for additional information on other partnership opportunities anticipated soon.
Update: Wednesday, July 29: Urbandale Indoor Public Swimming Pool Remains Temporarily Closed
At its meeting on July 28, 2020, the Urbandale the City Council voted to re-open the pool on a yet-to-be-determined date. The pool remains closed until further notice due to COVID-19.
Update: Tuesday, June 30: Urbandale Closing City Facilities to the Public
Due to the increase in new COVID-19 cases reported in central Iowa, beginning at 5 PM Tuesday, June 30, 2020, city buildings and departments are closed to the public until further notice, including:
- Indoor Public Pool
- Parks & Recreation Department
- Senior Recreation Center
Parks & Recreation
Playgrounds and city-owned softball and baseball fields remain open. Classes, lessons, and programs will continue as scheduled following CDC guidelines and with appropriate social distancing. Patrons with current facility rental agreements are on as scheduled, but no new rentals will be accepted until September 1st or after.
We continue to monitor the situation by working closely with the Polk County Health Department, Iowa Department of Public Health, and the Centers for Disease Control. We will keep you updated should further actions or cancellations be required. Please continue to refer to this webpage for the most up-to-date information.
Update: Friday, June 12: Pool Closed Through July 6, 2020
On June 10, 2020, Governor Kim Reynolds announced that pools may reopen, contingent upon compliance with the Iowa Department of Health and CDC guidelines.
As restrictions for different facilities are lifted by the Governor, the City of Urbandale will evaluate these new parameters, and make decisions on operations that the City determines are appropriate and safe for our residents.
At this time, the Urbandale Pool will remain closed until at least July 6, 2020. More information will be provided as decisions are made about the pool. Continue to check back on this webpage for the most up-to-date information about the pool.
Thank you for your patience as we work through these unprecedented times.
Update: Friday, May 29: Urbandale Opening City Facilities
The City of Urbandale is implementing a plan for a soft reopening of its operations and services beginning next week. The City closed all facilities to the public on March 17 as it responded to the COVID-19 pandemic. During the past twelve weeks, the City has operated a virtual City Hall, continuing to provide city services online. We continue to hold City Council and committee meetings virtually, respond to emergency and 911 calls, process permits, pick up garbage, and provide other essential services.
Following guidelines set by the CDC, the Iowa Department of Public Health, and the Governor’s Office, the following changes are in effect:
Parks, playgrounds, and recreation facilities
- All Urbandale playgrounds will reopen on June 1, including the skate park. While visiting any public space, use your best judgment and act responsibly; bring your own sanitation supplies with you and adhere to social distancing guidelines. Playground equipment is not regularly sanitized.
- Restrooms will reopen on June 1 (drinking fountains will not be turned on).
- Indoor and outdoor shelter and facility rentals are canceled through at least June 14.
- All in-person Parks & Recreation programs are canceled through at least June 14.
- The Urbandale Indoor Swimming Pool and Senior Recreation Center will remain closed through at least July 6, 2020. A reopening date is still being determined.
- Curbside service is currently available to library patrons.
- The library will open to the public with restrictions on June 15.
- The library will open with limited capacity and limited hours.
- A number of online programs for all ages are available, including the annual summer reading program. All in-person events and programs are canceled until further notice.
- Curbside service will continue for patrons that may still not be comfortable coming into the building.
- Check the Library Website for the most up-to-date information.
- The Fourth of July parade and carnival are canceled.
- Party in the Park is canceled.
- National Night Out has been postponed to a yet-to-be-determined date.
All other city buildings will open on June 15 with limited public access. Members of the public who enter city buildings are encouraged to wear masks, and a mask will be provided if you do not have one. Residents, contractors, and the public are encouraged to do business with staff via phone, email, video conference, or the website.
Update: May 21, 2020: Urbandale Extending Closures and Announcing New Cancellations
The City of Urbandale is extending closures and announcing new cancellations due to coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The Urbandale Indoor Swimming Pool and Senior Recreation Center will remain closed until at least July 6, 2020.
- All in-person Parks and Recreation Programs are canceled through at least June 14, 2020.
- Virtual programming opportunities can be found at https://www.urbandale.org/170/Parks-Recreation.
The following park amenities remain closed until at least June 14, 2020:
- All City-owned sports fields
- Walker Johnston Skate Park
- Indoor and Outdoor Shelter and facility rentals
Parks and trails continue to be open, but social distancing is required. Avoid groups of people and crowded areas. If a public space can’t be enjoyed safely, go home or discover a new park. While visiting any public space, use your best judgment and act responsibly; bring your own sanitation supplies with you and adhere to social distancing guidelines. If you do not feel well or have been sick, stay home.
The City of Urbandale will be complying with all directives from the Governor’s Office, the State Department of Health, and Federal health officials when it comes to the reopening of City services. City facilities will gradually reopen as conditions warrant, a reopen date is still being evaluated. For the most up-to-date information visit www.urbandale.org/COVID-19.
Classes & Lessons
General Information & Hours
The swimming pool rules have been set for the health and safety of all patrons. These rules are posted in the locker rooms and on the pool deck. More information is available here.
Rental of the Urbandale Pool is available to all persons, organizations, clubs and youth groups. Reservations are arranged on a first-come, first-served basis and depend on the availability of staff.
We are proud to be a USA Swimming Foundation Make a Splash Local Partner.
Please consider a donation to our Swimming Lesson Scholarship Fund providing life-saving swimming skills to area kids. To donate visit www.UrbandaleParksAndRec.org/register Click on "Swim Lesson Scholarship" under Register, Programs & Activities. For more information click here.
Contact UsUrbandale Indoor Public Swimming Pool
7201 Aurora Avenue
Urbandale, IA 50322