Police Department
Chief of Police
Accident and Case Reports
Administrative Services Division
Criminal Investigation Division
Patrol Division
Support Services Division
Block Parties
Classes
Public Information Officer
School Resource Officer (SRO)
Support Supervisor
Bio's
CALEA
Career
Citizen's Police Academy
Compliment & Complaint
Contact Us
CrimeReports.com
False Alarms
Fingerprints
History
Missing and Exploited Children
National Night Out
Thin Blue Line
Victim Resources
Who's This?

Keeping your family safe from Carbon Monoxide   
From the National Fie Safety Council, Inc.        
                                           
"The silent Killer"                                       
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, highly toxic gas that is undetectable to the human senses.  Because of this, victims may become disoriented and unable to call for help or unable to get out.           

CO can kill in as little as 10 minutes                               
Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur anywhere--at home, in your car, on your boat, at a public place, or at work.   
 
It is a by product of combustion, present whenever fuel is burned.  It is found in, but not limited to:           
    •    anything with a motor                               
    •    heating systems and appliances                               
    •    Natural or liquefied petroleum (LP) gas                           
    •    fire and smoke                                   
    •    houseboat generators                               
    •    cooking appliances and grills                               
    •    motorized vehicle exhaust                               
    •    propane-powered equipment                               
    •    tobacco smoke                                   
                                           
2,000 people die and 40,000 others are treated for CO poisoning every year.                    
                                           
Preventative Steps:                                   
Have all fuel- burning appliances installed by a professional according to
manufacturer's instructions and local building codes.       
                           
    •    Inspect and service heating and cooling systems before each season.               
    •    Keep fireplace flue open for adequate ventilation and until embers are
          completely burned out.                           
    •    Have your chimney inspected by a professional each year before use. 
          If you notice any damage to the chimney at any time do not use it until
          it is inspected.               
    •    Never install or operate gas-burning appliances, furnaces or water
          heaters in unvented enclosures.       
    •    Never use a gas range or oven for heating the home.                       
    •    Check water heater for improper burner adjustment and low supply of
          hot water.           
    •    If you see a mostly yellow pilot light not positioned upright, call for
         service. 
         Never adjust it yourself.                      
    •    Do not store propane tanks indoors.                           
    •    Use paint strippers and solvents outdoors or in adequately ventilated
          areas.                 
    •    Methylene chloride converts to carbon monoxide in the body.                   
    •    Even with the door open, never use a barbecue grill in the garage or
          indoors.               
    •    Start all gas, diesel or propane powered equipment outside.                   
                                           
The greatest risk for CO poisoning is in your vehicle:                       
    •    Never sit in a vehicle that is idling with the windows up, while waiting
          for it to heat up.           
    •    Never leave a vehicle idling in an attached garage with or without the
         garage door open.           
    •    Fumes can travel fast through the home.                            
    •    Never leave your child unattended in a vehicle that is idling for a long
         period of time.           
    •    Make sure the exhaust pipe is not blocked by leaves or snow when
         leaving a vehicle idling.       
    •    Have your exhaust system checked for holes in the muffler or tail pipe.               
    •    Never allow anyone to ride in the back of an enclosed pickup truck.                
                                           
Signs of a CO problem:                                    
    •    Stuffy, stale smelly air; exhaust fume smell; unfamiliar or burning odor.               
    •    Moisture on walls and windows; lint by dryer's exterior vent; soot on
         appliances.           
    •    A furnace that runs constantly but heats inadequately; loose or missing
          furnace panels            
                                           
See symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

House Checks
Polk County(IA) Crime Stoppers
Fingerprints
National Law Enforcement Officer Memorial
Compliment/Complaint Form
RAD & radKids
Noise Waiver
Block Party Request
2013 Annual Report
View All
City of Urbandale! | 3600 86th Street, Urbandale, Iowa 50322 | 515.278.3900 | Site Map
©2014 City of Urbandale. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Disclaimer | Website developed by DWebware