Fire Department
Home
Mission Statement
History of the Department
Office of the Fire Chief
Office of the Fire Marshal
Training Division
Hot Topics
Employment Opportunities
Fire Operations
UFD Staff
Monte Burr Memorial Garden
Photo Gallery
Kids Section
Contact Us
Links
Members Only

Keeping your family safe from Carbon Monoxide   
From the National Fie Safety Council, Inc.        
                                           
"The silent Killer"                                       
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, highly toxic gas that is undetectable to the human senses.  Because of this, victims may become disoriented and unable to call for help or unable to get out.           

CO can kill in as little as 10 minutes                               
Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur anywhere--at home, in your car, on your boat, at a public place, or at work.   
 
It is a by product of combustion, present whenever fuel is burned.  It is found in, but not limited to:           
    •    anything with a motor                               
    •    heating systems and appliances                               
    •    Natural or liquefied petroleum (LP) gas                           
    •    fire and smoke                                   
    •    houseboat generators                               
    •    cooking appliances and grills                               
    •    motorized vehicle exhaust                               
    •    propane-powered equipment                               
    •    tobacco smoke                                   
                                           
2,000 people die and 40,000 others are treated for CO poisoning every year.                    
                                           
Preventative Steps:                                   
Have all fuel- burning appliances installed by a professional according to
manufacturer's instructions and local building codes.       
                           
    •    Inspect and service heating and cooling systems before each season.               
    •    Keep fireplace flue open for adequate ventilation and until embers are
          completely burned out.                           
    •    Have your chimney inspected by a professional each year before use. 
          If you notice any damage to the chimney at any time do not use it until
          it is inspected.               
    •    Never install or operate gas-burning appliances, furnaces or water
          heaters in unvented enclosures.       
    •    Never use a gas range or oven for heating the home.                       
    •    Check water heater for improper burner adjustment and low supply of
          hot water.           
    •    If you see a mostly yellow pilot light not positioned upright, call for
         service. 
         Never adjust it yourself.                      
    •    Do not store propane tanks indoors.                           
    •    Use paint strippers and solvents outdoors or in adequately ventilated
          areas.                 
    •    Methylene chloride converts to carbon monoxide in the body.                   
    •    Even with the door open, never use a barbecue grill in the garage or
          indoors.               
    •    Start all gas, diesel or propane powered equipment outside.                   
                                           
The greatest risk for CO poisoning is in your vehicle:                       
    •    Never sit in a vehicle that is idling with the windows up, while waiting
          for it to heat up.           
    •    Never leave a vehicle idling in an attached garage with or without the
         garage door open.           
    •    Fumes can travel fast through the home.                            
    •    Never leave your child unattended in a vehicle that is idling for a long
         period of time.           
    •    Make sure the exhaust pipe is not blocked by leaves or snow when
         leaving a vehicle idling.       
    •    Have your exhaust system checked for holes in the muffler or tail pipe.               
    •    Never allow anyone to ride in the back of an enclosed pickup truck.                
                                           
Signs of a CO problem:                                    
    •    Stuffy, stale smelly air; exhaust fume smell; unfamiliar or burning odor.               
    •    Moisture on walls and windows; lint by dryer's exterior vent; soot on
         appliances.           
    •    A furnace that runs constantly but heats inadequately; loose or missing
          furnace panels            
                                           
See symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Home Safety
Emergency Safety
Home Fire Drills
Burns at Home Prevention
Help the Fire Department
CODE RED - Emergency Communication System
Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) Gas Pipe
Celebrate YOUR Birthday with the Urbandale Fire Dept!
View All
City of Urbandale! | 3600 86th Street, Urbandale, Iowa 50322 | 515.278.3900 | Site Map
©2014 City of Urbandale. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Disclaimer | Website developed by DWebware