General Information & Hours
NOTE: The Pool is closed Friday, January 10 AND Saturday, January 11, 2020 due to weather conditions. There is no swimming lessons or fitness classes. All rentals are also cancelled.
Times may vary due to holidays and/or special events.
Public Recreational Swimming:
Monday - Thursday: 7PM - 8:30PM
Saturday & Sunday: 1PM - 4PM
Cardio / Lap Swim:
Monday - Friday: 5:45AM - 7:30AM
Daily: Noon - 1PM
Monday - Thursday: 5PM - 7PM
Senior Lap Swim (50+ years):
Monday - Friday: 11AM - Noon
The wading pools are closed for the season. Urbandale has two wading pools for children. Children must be accompanied by a responsible person at least 14 years of age. Swim diapers are required when using these pools. The wading pools will not open if there is a 60% chance or higher expectation of thunderstorms in the forecast or if the temperature is below 70° at 10:00 a.m.
Lions Park (72nd St. & Prairie Ave.) Children 6 yrs. and under
- Dates: Summer ONLY
- Hours: Weekdays from 12:30 - 4 PM
- Fee: FREE
Aquatic Playground (7021 Aurora Ave.) Children 10 yrs. and under
- Dates: Summer ONLY
- Hours: Daily from 1 - 4 PM & Weekdays: 7 - 8:30 PM
- Fee: $5 (3 & over); Free (2 & under with paid adult)
Special Events and Holiday Closings
- Dec. 24 - 25 Closed for Christmas
- Dec. 23, 26, 27, 30 Winter Break Open Swim. 1-4 PM
- Dec. 31 - Jan. 1 Closed for New Year's Eve and Day
- Jan. 2-3 Winter Break Open Swim. 1-4 PM
- Jan. 2 Fitness challenge begins for patrons. Win prizes!
- Jan. 25 Try Scuba 5-7 PM or 7-9 PM. $8 per person
- Feb. 3 Fitness challenge ends for patrons
- Feb. 8 Indoor Kayak Class 6-8PM
- Feb. 14 Closes at 1:00 PM due to UHS Show Choir Invitational
- Feb. 15 Closed due to UHS Show Choir Invitational
- Feb. 22 Battle of the Snow Boat Races 1-4 PM. Come race in the pool on snowman boats using snow shovel paddles
- Feb. 26 & 27 No senior exercise or senior lap swim from 11 AM to noon
- Mar. 4 & 5 No senior exercise or senior lap swim from 11 AM to noon
- Mar. 13 & 14 Josh the Baby Otter Water Safety Program at the
Urbandale Library, 10-10:30 AM, FREE
- Mar. 16-20 Additional hours for Open Swim 1-4 PM (Spring Break)
- Mar. 18 Carnival 1-4 PM and 7-8:30 PM ; Cost: $6 per person; $1 for annual pass holders. No group rates available this day
- April 1 April Pool's Day. Come join us for the jokes and party 7-8:30 PM.
- Apr. 11 Egg Dive during Open Swim; $6 per person; $1 for annual pass holders. No group rates available this day
- Apr. 12 Closed for Easter
- May 9 Human Ball Day 1-4 PM
- May 16 Closed for Staff Training
- May 25 Closed for Memorial Day
- May 30 Closed for Staff Training
Payment accepted by cash, check, or credit/debit cards. (Processing fees may apply.)
(Anyone Entering the Pool Area)
2 years of age & under: FREE with paid adult
3 years of age & older: $5
Please enter pool area through the locker room. Taking a shower prior to entering the pool is required by Federal and State regulations for all patrons. No access to the pool area is allowed through the side emergency exit. No food or drink allowed in the locker rooms.
Groups with 10 or more are welcome. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on discounted rates.
(From Date of Purchase)
Resident Individual: $135
Non-Resident Individual: $165
Resident Family: $225
Non-Resident Family: $275
20% discount off fitness classes with Annual Pass.
Bring your own lock to lock a locker. Please remove the lock when finished each day. If you forget a padlock, you can purchase one at the pool for $5.
Inclement Weather Closings
Whenever the Urbandale Community School District closes due to inclement weather, the indoor pool will also close. In the event that school is not in session and the weather is questionable, the answering machine at the pool (515-278-3959) will announce if the pool is closed. The wading pools will not open if there is a 60% chance or higher expectation of thunderstorms in the forecast or if the temperature is below 70° at 10:00 a.m.
The Gift of Life Giving Tree!
A tree is set up at the Urbandale Swimming Pool to sponsor a child with the gift of life learning to swim. With each $45 donation, your name will be added to the tree and an Urbandale child in need will receive a scholarship for swimming lessons. If you are interested in donating $40 for a child to take swimming lessons, please stop by the pool and contribute to the Gift of Life Giving Tree.
Swimming Pool Refund Policy
To be eligible for a refund you must cancel at least 7 days before the first class meeting (14 days prior for pool rentals). After that, NO REFUNDS will be given unless:
- The program or class is canceled.
- The participant is unable to participate because of unforeseen medical reasons. The refund will then be prorated based on the number of classes attended. If more than 50% of the program has been completed, no refund will be issued.
Refunds will not be issued for circumstances beyond our control, i.e. weather or electrical outages. Please allow three weeks for a refund to be processed.
A manager is present every time the pool is open to the public.
Urbandale Indoor Public Swimming Pool
7201 Aurora Avenue
Urbandale, IA 50322